Did you see it?
It wasn’t easy to find because (so far) this ad only ran in Canada.
It hit home with me.
(and I’m guessing it might with you, too!)
Well, in an engaging way, the ad touches on –
• feeling lonely
• feeling discouraged when you look around
• feeling uncertain about what’s next
• feeling like you’ll never be recognized
• feeling comforted by the right book (yep!)
• feeling comforted by the right comfort food (oh yeah!)
No doubt you caught the ad’s core touchpoint …
our universally shared FEELINGS.
AND – just as it is in life – all of our self-doubts and those moments in an occasional valley never have to be end of the story.
Walmart’s Canadien holiday bear ad also reminds us –
• you gotta keep showing up and keep-a goin’
• you gotta be confident in your uniqueness and what you offer
• you gotta be aware of the needs of the people who come your way
• and you gotta be ready to embrace the big joys that often arise out of what may seem like totally insignificant and unimportant interactions
So dang that holiday bear ad anyway –
for nudging me into this philosophical funk when all I wanted to do was wish you a great weekend!
But it is a wonderful ad.
(And it’s one we could probably replicate if we put our minds to it.)
The ad is so good, in fact, I’m actually thinking about moving to Canada.
Now just don’t go getting your hopes up right away, though.
I haven’t discussed this with Cindy yet.
I can’t even sweet talk her into watching the ad!
Prior to launching SCN I was the communications director for Holland Public Schools in Holland, Michigan for 20 years. The challenges for in-the-trenches school communicators are many – and if I can help you in any way, give me a call. I'm a former teacher and I've managed more than 100 election campaigns of all types and sizes over the years. (I was even featured in the Wall Street Journal... a very, very slow news day, no doubt!) I created the School Communicators Network because I believe the noble purpose of education deserves the best marketing and PR possible. And there's a lot of talent and expertise we can tap into! I'm also convinced we can support each other while remaining human and having fun, too. You can reach me at email@example.com.